Type of Teacher:
Sangha Contact Name:
Sangha Contact Email:
The People of Color and Allies Sangha (POCAS) is a Buddhist inspired, peer led mindfulness group. It meets weekly on Thursday Nights for a sit and Dharma discussion. All People of Color interested in meditation and Buddhism are invited to attend. Allies must be sponsored by a person of color and current member that can vouch for their level of understanding of POC issues beyond a Racism 101 level.
- One Thursday a month we bring Dharma wisdom to discussions of being a people of color in the US.
- One Thursday is a peer led discussion: a member signs up to lead a discussion of his/her choosing. We encourage discussion of one of Buddha's "lists"....
- The group has chosen the paramis as a topic of discussion for one Thursday.
- The fourth Thursday we have a practice "Talking Circle" and discuss whatever we want.
- When there is a fifth Thursday, we take that evening to have a Sangha business meeting after the sit.
We also recruit visiting Dharma teachers to come to our sangha to lead sits and give Dharma talks. We practice meditation (Sattipatthana) in the tradition of IMS and Spirit Rock.